- Go indoors. Stay inside.
- Switch on the radio/television and look out for public announcements from your local authority.
- Close doors/windows.
- Cover all food, water and consume only such covered items.
- If in the open, cover your face and body with a wet handkerchief, towel, dhoti or sari. Return home, change/remove clothes. Have a complete wash and use fresh clothing.
- Extend full cooperation to local authorities and obey their instructions completely -- be it for taking medication, evacuation, etc.
- You must be aware of nuclear radiation hazard. Discuss on Nuclear radiation safety among children and family members, to reduce their fear of radiation.
- Do not panic.
- Do not believe in rumours passed on by word of mouth from one person to another.
- Do not stay outside/or go outside.
- As far as possible, AVOID water from open wells/ponds; exposed crops and vegetables; food, water or milk from outside.
- Do not disobey any instruction of the district or civil defence authorities who would be doing their best to ensure the safety of you, your family and your property.